NY Junior Researcher Internship
We have an immediate opening for an intern at our acclaimed UX and design research team (in the New York office at Studiomates!). For this position, experience is not the most important qualification, although we would love to hear about student or industry projects on which you learned and applied UX skills. We are looking for someone who has a passion for interaction design and UX research, strong teamwork skills, a growing and intriguing portfolio, and a fearless attitude toward both people and technology. If cold-calling three people you’ve never met, helping them set up their janky computer systems so they can show you how they use a web app while you listen, and then speed-sketching solution ideas and editing video highlights to convince a client to take action sounds like a fun day to you, then we should talk. Ideally you have some Design chops, with a portfolio of work you can show us, as we’d love your help in our product and design divisions. You play well with others and are comfortable navigating the corporate and startup worlds where our clients live; you have strong opinions but know how to listen neutrally, and you have a pragmatic approach to helping clients create change. Oh, and you don’t mind getting your hands dirty with a little video editing.
B|P provides design and UX recommendations for applications, websites, mobile technologies, video games, and occasionally cars. We create research and design-oriented web software like Ethnio, our live research recruiting tool. We wrote the book on remote UX research and have been known to win the odd award for our video work.
- Improve user experiences for our wide-ranging list of Clients
- Conduct UX studies remotely and in the field for prototypes and products of all sorts.
- Develop concept designs and/or architectures in response to research findings.
- You will be mentored by our senior staff and treated as a full member of the team.
- Familiarity with qualitative user experience research, one-on-one moderation experience would be awesome.
- Design/IA portfolio – doesn’t have to be huge but should be interesting.
- A degree (or expected degree) in HCI, information design, cognitive science, design or related field is nice, but hey surprise us.
- Strong understanding and practice of the fundamentals of social research and ethnography.
- Comfort with social media and blogging.
- Strong interest in HCI / Usability / UCD.
- Strong analytical, organizational, social, and diplomatic skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task within tight timelines.
- Desire to experiment with innovative testing techniques.
- Fast typing (50 WPM +). Can’t be slipping on notes during testing.
Super Bonus Points
- Talent with Photoshop, Illustrator, or any visual skills for making fancy-looking mockups and wire frames.
- Full time beginning April or May 2012 in New York; 3 month contract to start, possibility of permanent position if business conditions and your performance warrant.
- Sorry no remote applicants for this one.
- Paid internship, but rate depends on experience.
- Full Benefits start after 60 days (Medical Blue Shield PPO, Fortis Vision, Guardian Dental)
How To Apply
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org that shows you checked out our company, and is not the exact same email you sent to some other, far more boring company.
- Attachments for your resume are fine (PDF, DOC, etc.)
- Please do not attach a cover letter as a word .doc. Just a plain old email is great for that part.
- Examples of work that you can send or link to are dandy – please show us a writing sample, your design portfolio, or your blog/twitter/etc.